Saturday, October 31, 2015

My Rhetorical Action Plan

In this blog post, I will be looking into how I plan to write my argument for project 3.

Major, Ted. "Rhetorical Triangle". 1/13/14 via Flickr. CC Attribution 2.0 License.


Audience

  • Knowledge: My audience knows a good amount about what my topic is about. This would be the basics of the hydrofracking process, possibly areas it's happening in, and also why the topic is controversial. Depending on who they are, they could definitely have opinions on it already. The environmentalists would most likely all be against fracking while people that aren't necessarily directly involved could be indifferent. 
  • Values: Environmentalists value keeping the world a safe, clean, healthy place to live. While those who favor fracking might value the same ideas, they don't carry out their beliefs as true environmentalists do.
  • Standards of Argument: I think images, interviews, videos, and other visual research will greatly affect my audience. When there is something they can see, it will be much easier for them to believe and trust what my argument is.
  • Purpose: I am encouraging my audience to take action in whatever way they want to. I'm not asking them to agree with everything I will be arguing nor am I telling them what to do. I want my audience to listen to my argument so they can get a different perspective and then go from there.

Genre
  • The genre I will be using is blogging. Examples can be found hereherehere, and here.
  • Function: It is not formal and totally about what the blogger thinks and feels which is the point of project 3. 
  • Setting: This could be published on social media like Facebook or in an online forum like Huffington Post or Washington Post.
  • I plan on using pathos and logos more than ethos because I really don't have that much credibility when you compare me to other people speaking their opinions on hydrofracking. Pathos and logos will be a safer route for me and will make the most sense to my audience.
  • I will be using images and possibly videos if I can find them.
  • For style, I will probably be somewhere between conversational and academic.

Responses/Actions

Positive Reactions:
  • People would realize how much of an issue this process is.
  • People would want to take action in their own way and do their part in keeping our environment safe.
  • Those capable and qualified would think of other solutions and alternatives to hydrofracking.

Negative Reactions:
  • What is your solution to this problem?
  • How else will we be able to get all of this cheap fuel then? Prices for energy will rise and not many people can afford that right now.
  • My audience could just simply not listen to anything in my argument and take nothing from it.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how well thought out this is. The genre especially comes out at me, because I feel like striking a balance between professionalism and being casual with your informative blogging would be very beneficial towards what you have to say. Overall, your proposal is out of the box, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your reasoning behind the blogging, it sounds like you have a clear purpose which is needed. Two things to consider. One: you didn't state exactly who your audience is, I wasn't for sure if it was environmentalists or those that are pro fracking or both. But if you have a clear idea of who you're audience is, then don't worry about it. Two: Don't be so quick to dismiss your ethos. You can build up a lot of credibility just in the way you present your argument. If your blog looks professional and is well written with no grammatical errors, your readers will be a lot more inclined to believe you argument than if your blog post looks like it was put together in five minutes.

    ReplyDelete