Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Thoughts On Drafting

Before writing my first draft of my QRG on human genetic engineering, I looked at A Student's Guide to First-Year Writing to help me along. Here are some of the things that were useful to me.

"Writing with a pen". 5/26/11 via wikipedia. Creative Commons License.

Helpful Things from Student's Guide
One of the most useful things I read about in the book was what was said about organization. To make for an easy, casual read, it must be organized or else the readers definitely aren't going to want to read anything. Subheadings are a key way to keep the QRG organized and its also a convention of this genre.
Another thing that helped me especially was the part about the introduction. I never know how to start anything that is engaging or creative. I still don't know if I accomplished that in my first draft, but the book definitely helped me learn more about how I could make a hook to be interesting and fun.

Not So Helpful Things...
I think the section about illustration was the least helpful thing because that's not super important to QRGs as a genre. Pictures are absolutely supposed to be included but it's never the main focus when writing a QRG. So I could've done without reading about illustration.


Reflection
After reading Lia's post, I found some similarities with what we found helpful and not so helpful. She seemed very open to help so I feel like I could be a little more like her in that sense. She mentioned stuff about the explanations of the ideas in my QRG and I kind of overlooked that when writing my draft. After reading Grace's post, I felt like she was more like me in that she found fewer things helpful unlike Lia (it's great that Lia was able to get so much help from it).


Things I Need To Work On
1. I think I need to focus more on the introduction because that's the first thing the reader will read and I didn't put as much thought into it as necessary.

2. Adding more subheadings would also be helpful because it makes it more organized.

3. Explaining things better is also something I need to work on.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on organization because I do think that organization is a key way part of the QRG. Without subheadings to inform the reader of what the subsequent part is about the reader might bypass the articles because he or she isn't able to find what he or she wants to read. I do disagree with you though about the picture part. I think that pictures aren't the main focus but they are a pretty big focus because they provide evidence for the topic and can often appeal to the ethos and logos which is key for the writer to aim for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organization is really important - I agree. It frustrates me when the topic gets thrown all around the place. Not only is it hard to follow, but it kind of has an unprofessional feel to it, almost reducing the author's overall credibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have previously been taught that illustrations aren't necessarily just media embedded within your post. Illustrations are supplemental pieces, whether in text or in media, that support your argument. Whether this is through illustrating how a quote fits in context or how a video relates to the topic, illustrations can and should be used. However, I do agree with the fact that they should not be your focal points in a QRG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the organization and introduction of the QRG are very important aspects. I think I could perhaps benefit from a few more subheadings. However I think that especially when considering the audience of the QRG, illustrations can be very important. They keep the reader engaged and I believe that if they are used correctly, they can actually help act as supplemental material on your topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you said about the images. I thought they were really helpful. Even though pictures are very obvious, I thought that it served a purpose to get our creative juices flowing. I agree that the subheadings were useful but like you said about the images, I thought that the subheadings were even more obvious.

    ReplyDelete