Friday, September 25, 2015

Clarity, Part 2

In this post, I will be sharing four more topics I read about in Rules For Writers.

Stitched, Vsio. "Clear Water Ball". 8/15/11 via Deviant Art. Attribution 3.0 License.

1. The section on Emphasis really interested me. I thought it was important for me to read about because often times I forget that my readers are not in my head, therefore they don't know what main point(s) I'm trying to get across. Also, the fact that this section told me what I had to do to accomplish this was really helpful rather than just telling me what emphasis is. 

2. The section on Wordy Sentences also was very useful to me. It's easy for me to get lost in the point I'm trying to make, resulting in a lot of run on sentences that really don't need to be that long. Focusing on how to make my sentences efficient and straight to the point will hopefully be easier for me after reading this section.

3. The section on Variety was helpful as well. I discussed this in my last blog post analyzing the longest paragraph in my QRG that I feel like my writing gets boring. I don't add enough variety to my sentence structures or even the words I use. It taught me to start my sentences with different words and structure them differently (long, short, complex, simple, etc.) in order to make my words flow better and make it more interesting to read. 

4. The section on shifts was something I had never really thought about much with my writing until I read it. It can be confusing switching from 3rd to 1st person and that can easily happen when I get on a roll writing. Simply being more aware and reading what I write out loud to myself after I'm done could definitely solve the problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment