Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Considering Visual Types

In this post, I will be exploring the visual effects I might be using in project 3 by answering 6 questions from Writing Public Lives.


"Rainbow Eyes". 7/13/08 via Deviant Art. CC Attribution 3.0 License.

The background for my project could very well just be plain white because it is a letter.
 I feel like I'm pretty limited with my visual choices because of the genre I'm writing in.

I think I might include pictures of graphs or other relevant items in my letter anyways even though they usually aren't included in them.

Blocks of text will split up the images included.

The images will be in very close proximity to the argument because some might even serve as solid evidence if they are graphs.

I hadn't really thought about image sequencing, but I just plan on putting them right before or after I've discussed the relevance of it.

The theme produced by the images could be relevant to the theme as a whole depending on what images I decide to use. If there are graphs, that wouldn't really fit with the rhetorical element I chose to focus on which is pathos, but it would be very relevant information and important for my audience to know.

5 comments:

  1. I think you're in a tough situation when it comes to visuals since your genre is a letter. I've never seen a letter with images but for the sake of the project i'd try to include some sort of image or graph or something of that sort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your genre doesn't generally have pictures or graphs, then I don't think they're needed. Your project is going to be graded against examples you provide, and if none of those have pictures, then putting pictures in your letter will seem out of place. You can still use white space and font as powerful visual elements though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this was probably a difficult/unnecessary post for you because there is little to no images in your letter that you're writing. I really only have one picture in my project as well so I am in a similar situation. I think that what you have doesn't lend itself well to images but your project is going to be killer anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you did a very thorough job explaining each visual element. I like how you mentioned about the blank space helping to break up your text. For instance, I used pauses between my sentences in order to space out my sentences. I like how there is a similar connection between our visuals so I know I am doing something right. I think your project is going to be hard to do on a computer. It would be so cool if you wrote out an actual letter and maybe make it look like a legit hand-written letter? That might give it some deeper depth. You could do this if you scanned it maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize that you feel very limited by the genre you're writing in, but I think you've made a lot of progress with what you have to work with. The idea of graphs or other images that really aid or even make the arguments is a great idea; those are the kinds of things that really make a project amazing. Since you're focusing on pathos, you may be able to use something like graphs as a counterbalance of logos to work with the pathos of the writing itself!

    ReplyDelete